4 - 5 years
Growing More Competent And Confident,
Our Super Stars are ready for Kindergarten!
Growing More Competent And Confident,
Our Super Stars are ready for Kindergarten!
Our Super Star room is all about taking it to the next level. Our Super Stars love being independent learners. They feel good about the things they can do, show self-confidence, and are willing to try new adventures. Our STAR curriculum goals ensure that our pre-k students are ready to succeed and excel in Kindergarten.
Skills For Success
Teachers use the Frog Street weekly themes to plan purposeful lessons that deepen our Super Star’s understanding of academic skills and concepts. Through exploration, investigation and play, children develop the critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are needed to succeed in Kindergarten, school and life.
Proficiency, Autonomy and Self Confidence
Our main objectives are to build a bright environment that not only stimulates but provides a sound basis for accomplished learning! Proficiency, autonomy, self-confidence and a deeper awareness about our community provide refined social skills for Super Star’s transition to their elementary years. Teachers conduct authentic assessments daily to target the individual child’s needs preparing them for kindergarten.
Degreed Teacher Prepare Your Child Beyond Kindergarten Readiness
Taught by degree teachers the pre-kindergarten curriculum focuses on preparing your child for elementary school. With the use of Frog Street, we have effectively integrated the 10 domains of learning outlined in the Pre-Kindergarten Guidelines. These classroom domains include: Social and Emotional Development, Language and Communication, Emergent Literacy Reading and Writing, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Fine Arts, Physical Development, Technology.
A Love For Literacy
Emergent Literacy is cultivated by giving the children the opportunity to have experiences with books, vocabulary, and alphabet knowledge. In addition, support of each child’s fine motor development is critical to helping build their writing skills.
A World Of Words
Our classroom is labeled with written words as well as pictures to help children recognize letters, make up words and understand that words have meaning. Children are encouraged to put their thoughts on paper, whether it be through making a sign for the building they made in the construction center, making a menu to order from in dramatic play, or writing a thank you card to a friend or a note to a parent.
Building Lasting Friendships
Our Super Stars are supported in their efforts to build lasting friendship and understanding the dynamics of socially acceptable behaviors. Small group activities allow for more individualized interactions, supporting each child at their level. Each success your Pre-k student has will build self-esteem and encourage them to reach for the sky!
Extended Learning Awaits Your Pre-K Child
Focused around weekly themes, your child will flourish both creatively and culturally through a variety of annual events, including exciting in-house field trips, splash pad days, extracurricular activities, holiday parties, celebrations, STEAM science night and monthly home economics projects.
Performing Arts Pre-Kindergarten Play
The continuation of the performing arts at our annual pre-kindergarten play further expands our Super Stars public speaking, memorization and creative expression knowledge. Our little performers will surprise and delight you as they show off their expanding acting skills. Evidence shows that Theatre Arts activities support early childhood development in the following ways:
Our eco themed classroom creates an adventure for our Super Stars. Bright, beautiful rooms with patterned carpets, enchanting wall murals, natural lighting and ecofriendly amenities create an exemplary learning experience for your pre-k student. These spacious classrooms provide large learning centers full of educational toys and equipment for children to rotate through during our curriculum time. Child-height toilets, sinks, drinking fountains, windows, tables and chairs allow for children to continue along the road to independence.
Super Star Interactions
Our Super Star Interactions create confident learners and prepare your child beyond kindergarten readiness.
Not only does our Super Star program prepare your child for elementary school academically, but it also supports growth and development in social and emotional. Below are some of the many ways that our degreed teachers will meet your child’s individual needs:
Developmental Goals For
Our Super Stars
- Shows understanding by responding appropriately
- Is able to use language for different purposes
- Engages in conversations in appropriate ways
- Matches language to social context
- Uses a wide variety of words to label and describe objects
- Uses sentences with more than one phrase
- Builds vocabulary including descriptive and action words
- Uses verbal and non-verbal language to communicate for a variety of purposes
- Recognizes uppercase and lowercase letters and the sounds they make
- Identifies and writes first and last name in print
- Seeks to understand print
- Combines words to make compound words
- Combines or deletes syllables from a word
- Produces rhyming words
- Gives words that start with the same sound as a given word
- Retells or reenacts a story after it is read aloud
- Uses information learned from books
- Intentionally uses scribbles or writing to convey meaning
- Independently writes letters on request
- Describes self positively
- Shows reasonable opinion of his/her own abilities
- Show initiative in independent situations and persists in attempting to solve problems
- Follows classroom rules and routines
- Is aware of own feelings
- Begins to understand the connection between feelings and behaviors
- Remains focused on engaging group activities for an age-appropriate amount of time
- Demonstrates empathy and caring for others
- Begins to have meaningful friends
- Understands that others have different perspectives and feelings
Social and Environmental Studies
- Identifies and appreciates similarities and differences in basic social groups
- Identifies members of extended family and their various roles
- Recognizes traditions and languages of other cultures
- Assumes various roles and responsibilities as part of a classroom community
- Participates in voting
- Recognizes the symbols of American heritage
- Explores how personal actions affect the environment
- Becomes aware of waste and personal usage
- Uses creativity and imagination to think of new ways to use old objects
Math and Manipulative
- Counts 1-10 items
- Demonstrates that the order of the counting sequences is always the same
- Recognizes one-digit numerals 0-9
- Uses concrete models or makes a verbal word problem for addition and subtraction
- Names and creates common shapes
- Demonstrates use of location words
- Sorts by more than one characteristic
- Organizes information and graphs it
- Recognizes and creates patterns
- Compares height, weight or length or objects
Sensory, Science and Technology
- Describes, observes and investigates properties and characteristics of common objects
- Describes and sequences life cycles of organisms
- Discusses the relationship of organisms to their environments
- Identifies and discusses objects in the sky
- Identifies the five senses
- Describes how weather affects our lives
- Uses technological resources to problem-solve, communicate and illustrate
- Learns appropriate technological vocabulary
Large Motor Development
- Demonstrates coordination and balance
- Walk and runs with control
- Jumps and climbs
- Throws and catches a ball
Small Motor Development
- Shows increasing control of tasks that require hand-eye coordination
- Shows control of tasks that require small-muscle strength and control
- Traces and cuts small shapes
- Makes letters using correct form and pencil grip
Health and Safety
- Understand the importance of personal hygiene
- Understands that our bodies need nutrients to remain healthy
- Recognizes safe and unsafe behaviors
What Our Parents Are Saying...
Today as we attended our daughter’s Pre-K Graduation Ceremony, I realized just how happy, confident, and positive our little girl was knowing that she is so ready (in her terms) to move onto Kindergarten! During her time at Bright Star Academy, her little hands and mind have learnt so much. It truly surprises me every minute, just how wonderful her thinking process is growing each day! I would like to thank each and every member of Bright Star for helping our little girl’s wonderful development. You are an excellent team and we are looking forward to Summer Camp!
Our daughter, who is about to be 5, has been in the pre-k program at Bright Star and we just absolutley love it there. She has an amazing teacher, who has been very loving, patient and kind. My daughter has grown very attached to her. It seems to me that all of the teachers there are just wonderful and EDUCATED so you couldnt go wrong no matter what classroom your in. We are blown away at everything she has learned there and how much this school has to offer. They are worth every penny! I have felt 100% good leaving her here everyday. We will miss this place when we are off to kindergarten in August. 🙁 But I know that they have given her the best headstart we could have gotten anywhere 🙂
When we left our old school, we were not sure we would ever find the same loving staff and teachers we had for our older son. Bright Star has become so much more than we ever expected though! They are so thorough with each child, and the teachers make such a point to make each child feel special. My son went from having behavior problems in his class in preschool, to having GREAT days and being so excited to go to school everyday! We can thank Ms. Sarah in Pre-k for her help a dedication to his education and giving him the challenges he needed!!